Friday 3 June 2011

The beginning...

If I was a woman I'd have a ginormous handbag full to the brim. As it is I'm male nor do I have a handbag at my disposal so I endeavour to accessorise my life with as little as possible whilst having all I can possibly need at hand. Basically I'm an "everything but the kitchen sink" kind of guy yet I dream of being minimalist. I'm conflicted!

Pair my enthusiasm to be prepared for everything whilst carrying almost nothing with an obsession with all things orange and you're starting to understand how my wage packet gets eaten away at on eBay, Amazon, and in Poundstores all across blighty in search of something that 'fits', that's dual-purpose (better still multifunctional) or even more dangerous for me 'that'll come in useful one day'.

All this in an effort to get my life more organised whilst quite often failing miserably.
Recently I stumbled across the good folk at http://philofaxy.blogspot.com/ and upon perusing their blogs I was persuaded to dig out an old Filofax my mum bought me for Uni. I'll be honest here and tell you I never used it. Who in their right mind is going to whap out some leather binder in front of their fellow peers as a young male in their 21st year of life. Not I. Firsly it was too stiff and cumbersome for my liking plus I felt seriously uncool so... in a box under the bed it went. And when I left Uni? Of course, in a box in the attic.

Fast forward 5 years and the stiff and cumbersome leather Filofax is understood to have its advantages but combined with the knowledge of the Philofaxy followers I am now in possession of an A5 Deco.
It's larger ring size, lack of fastening buckle and user friendly half-A4-size allows me to organise my day-to-day life and work papers with relative ease compared to the difficulties I used to face.

Part of me has come to a rather large hurdle now, I TRY to organise myself that much that I carry out research, google things I'd like to read into and such like. At this point my old disorganised self clashes with my organised self. I make the effort to do the research yet it then sits in the download folded on my computer for months on end lying there latently until I get a spark. This spark is converted into an urge. Not an urge to organise and act upon my findings but simply search some more, research even deeper only for this seemingly useful information to lie side by side with the old musings in some sort of dormant homage to life and times before Melvil Dewey came along and organised the library system. Oh how I could do with a Mini Melvil to carry round in my pocket and pop out when I come to a crossroads of organisational turmoil.

All in all I'm hoping that blogging may help unravel my conflicts and bring me to a long stretch of road bereft of traffic lights, crossroads and possibly roundabouts.

Good night, Monkey

No comments:

Post a Comment